ZAMBIA - Zambia Agriculture Commodity Exchange (ZAMACE) has so far certified four warehouse operators with a total of 300,000 tonnes’ storage space.
RWANDA - A pact to promote grain trade in East African regional markets has been signed.
GHANA - The production of major cereal crops like maize and rice in the Brong Ahafo region - the food basket of the country has suffered a massive setback as a result of effects of climate change, accounting for drastic shortfall of those commodities.
KENYA - Millers say huge quantities of local wheat this year has created unusual pressure, making it difficult for them to accommodate all produce.
KENYA - Thousands of farmers in wheat-producing zones are stuck with produce with millers’ stores currently full of the imported grain.
SOUTH AFRICA – South Africa continues to feel the effects of drought, with figures showing it is still importing maize. A drought earlier this year caused production shortages.
GHANA - Ghana is the third leading cassava producer in Africa and sixth in the world, while commercialisation of the crop is nascent. Cassava holds the potential to help transform the economy.
SOUTH AFRICA - Unlisted Kaap Agri reported bumper profits in the year to end-September, but expects a tougher financial year ahead as drought conditions take hold in its main markets.
KENYA - The ongoing rains and higher prices of maize offered by millers have slowed purchase of grains by the National Cereals and Produce Board (NCPB), putting at risk the strategic grain reserve (SGR).
KENYA - The government is headed for a collision with maize farmers in the North Rift over prices for their produce.
ZAMBIA - The demand for Zambian maize in southern Africa is likely to drop because of improved production in traditional import countries in the region.
More Articles ...
- Locally grown rice needs aggressive marketing - official
- FG plans rice, wheat self-sufficiency within three years - document
- Kenya develops virus resistant seed in war on deadly maize disease (2)
- Farmers to turn to state for financial help as drought leads to desperate times
- Benue Governor says new rice policy underway
- Increased wheat production can save Nigeria N500bn annually
- SA yellow maize scales 2015 high amid drought fears
- Maize open border policy to benefit economy – IAPRI