KENYA - Governor Kinuthia Mbugua has reopened Nakuru’s only public abattoir after an upgrade.
There has been a shortage of slaughterhouses in Nakuru with only a few private ones operating as the public facility struggled to remain in business and later ceased operations.
The abattoir, on a one-acre piece of land, has reportedly lost nine of the 10 acres it had been allocated to land grabbers. Speaking during the reopening on Wednesday, the governor, however, said all grabbed land would be repossessed.
Mr Mbugua said the slaughterhouse would create employment for residents, adding that it would also be a key source of revenue to the county government.
He said the county would ensure that the facility maintains high standards of sanitation and safety.
“We’ll work with the Ministry of Health through the department of Public Health to ensure hygiene standards are maintained in the abattoir.”
The facility, which cost Sh6 million in the first phase of rehabilitation, is set to process 150 to 200 beef cattle a day as well as 300 chicken and 50 sheep and goats, according to public health officer Samuel King’ori.
The official expressed confidence the abattoir would spur meat business in the county due to high demand for quality beef by consumers.
Deputy Governor Joseph Ruto said the county would soon be a major exporter of meat to other devolved units instead of importing from neighbouring regions.
County director of veterinary services Enos Amuyunzu said they would work with livestock farmers to ensure that they keep quality animals, as well as benefit from quality service at the abattoir.
“We have employed four caretakers who will maintain hygiene inside and outside the slaughterhouse. It will also have two guards to ensure security within,” he said.
Kenya recently entered into a deal with China to export meat products to the Asian giant, a move estimated to pump billions of shillings into the local economy in the next five years and diversify export markets.